What we do
Gaeloideachas is a national, voluntary organisation supporting the development of Irish-medium education.
Founded as Gaelscoileanna in 1973 to support Irish-medium schools, primary and post-primary, outside of the Gaeltacht, the organisation’s remit now includes the provision of support services for Irish-medium schools in Gaeltacht areas, and for Irish-medium preschools outside of the Gaeltacht.
Gaeloideachas provides advice, assistance and support to people who wish to have their children educated through Irish, as well as support services and advocacy for those working in the sector.
Irish-medium schools can register as members of Gaeloideachas, allowing them to elect a representative Board of Directors and to inform the work of the organisation.
Gaeloideachas has a team of nine executive staff, and is funded by Foras na Gaeilge.
Gaeloideachas works to establish and sustain a high standard of Irish-medium education throughout the country as well as to develop and strengthen the Irish speaking community and culture.
Gaeloideachas’ vision is that high-quality Irish-medium immersion education should be available to every parent and guardian who would choose it for their child.
Plean Stráitéiseach Gaeloideachas 2018-2022 (in Irish only)
Our Functions and Scope
Overall: Irish-medium education, immersion education and Irish-medium early-years services
- Irish-medium education and immersion education in the south, including Gaeltacht areas;
- Irish-medium early-years services in the south, outside Gaeltacht areas; and
- A collaborative approach with partners in the north in the Irish-medium education, immersion education and Irish-medium early-years sector.
Click the tabs below for more information on our specific functions as agreed with our funder, Foras na Gaeilge.
Representation and Advocacy
- Support, represent and advocate on behalf of Irish-medium and Gaeltacht school communities. Recommend appropriate structures and supports to the State and relevant parties in order to support full Irish-medium provision that meets the needs of the communities and facilitates the delivery of excellent education through the medium of Irish.
- Support and advocate on behalf of the naíonra community outside the Gaeltacht. Recommend appropriate structures and supports to the State and relevant parties in order to support full Irish-medium provision that meets the needs of the communities and facilitates the delivery of excellent early-years services through the medium of Irish.
New Immersion Education Provision
- Plan for and actively support the establishment of new immersion education provision in the early-years sector (outside Gaeltacht areas) and in the Irish-medium and Gaeltacht primary and post-primary sectors, where appropriate and in a collaborative and coherent manner.
Support Services for the Irish-medium Sector
- Facilitate the promotion of Irish as a living language of communication in all aspects of Irish-medium and Gaeltacht education at all three levels. Support Irish-language development projects aimed at those communities, in close cooperation with lead organisations as identified by Foras na Gaeilge, and other relevant parties.
- Provide a comprehensive and authoritative information and support service to the wider community and to Irish-medium and Gaeltacht education communities at all three levels in relation to the immersion education system as a whole, and access to educational provision through Irish.
Professional Development and Standards
- Work in cooperation with State bodies and other relevant stakeholders to support the availability of Irish-medium early-years services and Irish-medium and Gaeltacht primary and post-primary schools, in accordance with regulation and quality assurance standards.
- Work in cooperation with State bodies and other relevant stakeholders to provide appropriate professional development for staff in the Irish-medium and Gaeltacht education sector at all three levels to facilitate a high standard of immersion education. Work in cooperation with stakeholders in the north to share best practice between immersion institutions.
- Support the sharing of best practice by organising an annual conference and seminars to serve the Irish-medium and Gaeltacht education community at all three levels, in conjunction with other organisations.
Strategic Planning and Partnership
- Prepare strategic and operational plans and complete of partnership projects with other members of the Partnership Forum as identified by Foras na Gaeilge.
- Submit timely applications for funding to Foras na Gaeilge based on the above functions.