Stand with Naíonraí at the National Early Years Protest, 2020
The Early Years Alliance has recently announced a national childcare protest and Gaeloideachas’ staff will be gathering in solidarity with all those wishing to support naíonraí at the steps of the Hugh Lane Gallery, Parnell Square at 11:15am, 5 February, before marching with the crowd to Dáil Éireann.
A mere 3 days ahead of the general election, we are urging naíonraí and the wider community to support the early years and childcare sector – everyone from teachers, managers, parents and even children – to demand that the government provide a sustainable solution for the current worsening childcare crisis. Naíonraí are the foundation stone on which Irish-medium and Gaeltacht education are built, and there is an urgent need for better State funding and structures to support them.
Emphasis will be put on the following needs in the run up to General Election 2020
- Fair pay for teachers and staff in all naíonraí and early years’ services
- Improvement and development of recruitment and job security
- Subsidies that will allow for the provision of the highest standards of childcare
- Development of a funding model that supports affordable and accessible childcare for parents
- The establishment of a single inspection process
We must stand united on these issues, please join us on the 5th February and encourage those in your local naíonra and community to do likewise.
If you are unable to attend on the day, you can support the cause online – what affect do the current working conditions in the sector have on you as an employee? What supports are lacking? What effects will this have on childrens’ experience in the naíonra? Share your stories with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to be heard and seen on the day!