Gaeloideachas’ vision is that high-quality Irish-medium immersion education should be available to every parent and guardian who would choose it for their child. We support naíonraí and Irish-medium primary and post-primary schools in their work to be fully inclusive and to cater for all children, no matter what their educational needs might be.
Naíonraí and Irish-medium schools routinely cater for children with physical and intellectual disabilities; sight and hearing difficulties, Autism spectrum disorders, dyslexia, and other special educational needs (SEN). Some Irish-medium schools are now being granted special units to cater for children with additional needs.The same supports are made available to children with SEN in Irish-medium schools as they are in any other mainstream preschool or school. You can explore our work in this area by clicking on the section headings below.
Bilingual education for children with special educational needs ‘does no harm and clearly does contribute to social, emotional and interpersonal growth’ – NCSE Report, 2011
Gaeloideachas Advisory Committee on Special Education
Gaeloideachas has formed an advisory committee to direct the organisation’s work on Special Education. The committee is very active and its primary objectives are to increase awareness of special education in the sector and to lobby for appropriate support services and resources. The remit of the committee includes:
- highlight the special educational needs of children in the Irish-medium education system and the support structures to address difficulties;
- increase awareness amongst policymakers of the special educational needs of children and appropriate support structures for naíonraí, schools and their communities;
- identify where training is needed in the sector and source appropriate expertise;
- compile a directory of experts and practitioners in the field, as well as relevant research;
- plan and organise seminars and conferences on special education in the sector, in conjunction with other partners;
- prepare submissions to the Department of Education and Skills and the Education Committee.
The current members of the committee are as follows:
- Clodagh Ní Mhaoilchiaráin, Príomhoide Gaelscoil Bhaile Brigín (Cathaoirleach)
- Anna Ní Chartúir, Scoil Sailearna
- Bláthnaid ní Ghréacháin, Gaeloideachas
- Ciara Ní Bhroin, Gaeloideachas
- Máire Ní Mhaoileoin, Scoil Neasáin
- Máire Ní Mhurchadha, Coláiste Cholmcille
- Máire Nic an Rí, COGG
- Ríona Ní Shúilleabháin, Gaelscoil Bhaile Brigín
Workshops for Parents
Gaeloideachas invites you to an information evening for parents and guardians of children with Special Educational Needs in Irish-medium education. Come along and hear from the experts on:
- Speech & Language Disorder
Please note that the events planned in Galway (26 March) and Dublin (30 April) have been postponed. Alternative dates will be announced for the workshops as soon as possible.
Register by email for further information:email@example.com
Ar Scáth a Chéile Conference Presentations
More than 150 teachers and educators came together at the Gaeloideachas Ar Scáth a Chéile conference in 2019, you’ll find the presentations from the event below.
- Ag tacú le daltaí a bhfuil RSO acu agus iad ag foghlaim trí Ghaeilge – Sineád Nic Aindriú, Institiúid Oideachais OCBÁC
- Buíon mhúinteoireachta mar mhodh tacaíochta sa bhunscoil lán-Ghaeilge agus Ghaeltachta – Clár Nic Samhráin, Eithne Ní Dhubhghaill & Marian Uí Drisceoil, An tSeirbhís um Fhorbairt Ghairmiúil do Mhúinteoirí (PDST)
- iPad mar ghléas tacaíochta le haghaidh daltaí le RSO – Dónal Ó Faoláin, An Chomhairle Náisiúnta um Oideachas Speisialta (BL & IBL)
- Mata agus uimhearthacht – straitéisí teagaisc sa bhunscoil – Deirdre Ní Dhorchaí agus Monica Ní Choitir, Gaelscoil Mhíchíl Cíosóg
- Measúnú ar dheacrachtaí teanga sa dátheangachas Gaeilge-Béarla – An Dr Ciara O’ Toole, Coláiste na hOllscoile, Corcaigh
- Ráiteas Polasaí Folláine & Creat Cleachtais 2018–2023, Colm Ó Conchubhair, Siceolaí Oideachais, Seirbhís Náisiúnta Siceolaíochta Oideachais (SNSO)
- Uathachas sa bhunscoil lán-Ghaeilge agus Ghaeltachta – Clodagh Ní Mhaoilchiaráin, Gaelscoil Bhaile Brigín
Sign up to the Newsletter
We publish a range of newsletters, including one dedicated to special education that’s aimed at teachers and educators. You can sign up to receive any or all of our newsletters below, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
We regret to announce the postponement of the information evening for parents and guardians of children with Special Educational Needs in Irish-medium education in the Galway Bay Hotel on the 26 March. We hope to announce a new date for the event in the future. A...read more
Gaeloideachas invites you to an information evening for parents and guardians of children with Special Educational Needs in Irish-medium education. Come along and hear from the experts on: Dyslexia Autism Speech & Language Disorder Galway: Galway Bay Hotel, 26...read more