Gaeloideachas’ vision is that high-quality Irish-medium immersion education should be available to every parent and guardian who would choose it for their child. We support naíonraí and Irish-medium primary and post-primary schools in their work to be fully inclusive and to cater for all children, no matter what their educational needs might be.
Naíonraí and Irish-medium schools routinely cater for children with physical and intellectual disabilities; sight and hearing difficulties, Autism spectrum disorders, dyslexia, and other special educational needs (SEN). Some Irish-medium schools are now being granted special units to cater for children with additional needs.The same supports are made available to children with SEN in Irish-medium schools as they are in any other mainstream preschool or school. You can explore our work in this area by clicking on the section headings below.
Bilingual education for children with special educational needs ‘does no harm and clearly does contribute to social, emotional and interpersonal growth’ – NCSE Report, 2011
Gaeloideachas Advisory Committee on Special Education
Gaeloideachas has formed an advisory committee to direct the organisation’s work on Special Education. The committee is very active and its primary objectives are to increase awareness of special education in the sector and to lobby for appropriate support services and resources. The remit of the committee includes:
- highlight the special educational needs of children in the Irish-medium education system and the support structures to address difficulties;
- increase awareness amongst policymakers of the special educational needs of children and appropriate support structures for naíonraí, schools and their communities;
- identify where training is needed in the sector and source appropriate expertise;
- compile a directory of experts and practitioners in the field, as well as relevant research;
- plan and organise seminars and conferences on special education in the sector, in conjunction with other partners;
- prepare submissions to the Department of Education and Skills and the Education Committee.
The current members of the committee are as follows:
- Clodagh Ní Mhaoilchiaráin, Príomhoide Gaelscoil Bhaile Brigín (Cathaoirleach)
- Anna Ní Chartúir, Scoil Sailearna
- Bláthnaid ní Ghréacháin, Gaeloideachas
- Ciara Ní Bhroin, Gaeloideachas
- Máire Ní Mhaoileoin, Scoil Neasáin
- Máire Ní Mhurchadha, Coláiste Cholmcille
- Máire Nic an Rí, COGG
- Ríona Ní Shúilleabháin, Gaelscoil Bhaile Brigín
Tionól Forbartha, 2019
- Measúnú ar dheachrachtaí teanga sa dátheangachas – Dr Ciara O’Toole, Coláiste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
- Conas a úsáideann muid an spraoi chun Gaeilge na bpáistí a fheabhsú – Gráinne Ní Cheallacháin, Gaelscoil Bhaile Bhrigín
- Teanga na Matamaitice – Deirdre Ní Dhorchaí agus Monica Ní Choitir, Gaelscoil Mhíchíl Cíosóg
- Ráiteas Polasaí Folláine agus Creat Cleachtais – Colm Ó Conchubair, Siceolaí Oideachais, An tSeirbhís Násiúnta Siceolaíochta & Cleachtais ( NEPS)
- Soláthar do Pháistí le Riachtanais Speisialta Oideachais i scoileanna LánGhaeilge agus Gaeltachta – Dr Treasa Kirk, Cigire – Roinn Oideachais agus Scileanna
- Neamhord de chuid Speictream an Uathachais sa scoil LánGhaeilge agus Gaeltachta – Clodagh Ní Mhaoilchiaráin, Gaelscoil Bhaile Bhrigín
- Ag Tacú le Daltaí a bhfuil RSO acu agus iad ag foghlaim trí Ghaeilge – Sinéad Nic Aindriú, Pádraig Ó Duibhir, Joe Travers
Ar Scáth a Chéile, 2019
- Ag tacú le daltaí a bhfuil RSO acu agus iad ag foghlaim trí Ghaeilge – Sineád Nic Aindriú, Institiúid Oideachais OCBÁC
- Buíon mhúinteoireachta mar mhodh tacaíochta sa bhunscoil lán-Ghaeilge agus Ghaeltachta – Clár Nic Samhráin, Eithne Ní Dhubhghaill & Marian Uí Drisceoil, An tSeirbhís um Fhorbairt Ghairmiúil do Mhúinteoirí (PDST)
- iPad mar ghléas tacaíochta le haghaidh daltaí le RSO – Dónal Ó Faoláin, An Chomhairle Náisiúnta um Oideachas Speisialta (BL & IBL)
- Mata agus uimhearthacht – straitéisí teagaisc sa bhunscoil – Deirdre Ní Dhorchaí agus Monica Ní Choitir, Gaelscoil Mhíchíl Cíosóg
- Measúnú ar dheacrachtaí teanga sa dátheangachas Gaeilge-Béarla – An Dr Ciara O’ Toole, Coláiste na hOllscoile, Corcaigh
- Ráiteas Polasaí Folláine & Creat Cleachtais 2018–2023, Colm Ó Conchubhair, Siceolaí Oideachais, Seirbhís Náisiúnta Siceolaíochta Oideachais (SNSO)
- Uathachas sa bhunscoil lán-Ghaeilge agus Ghaeltachta – Clodagh Ní Mhaoilchiaráin, Gaelscoil Bhaile Brigín
Mother Tongues, 2018
- Can I send my child to an Irish-medium school or Naíonra if she/he has a special education need?
- Is it better for my child with a Developmental Language Disorder to go to an English-Medium School?
- Would Bilingualism affect my child’s language and communication skills?
- What is likely to be done by teachers and parents to support language learning?
- Clár TG4 – 7 Lá
Tionól Forbartha, 2018
- Riachtanais Speisialta san Iar bhunscoil – Ruaidhrí Ó Béarra, NEPS
Comhdháil Gaeloideachas ar RSO, 2017
- An dátheangachas agus deacrachtaí teanga agus urlabhraíochta – Darína Ní Shíthigh, Teiripeóir Urlabhra & Teanga
- Straitéisí Praiticiúla le tacaíocht a thabhairt do pháistí le disléicse sna scoileanna LánGhaeilge – Deirdre Nic Gabhann, Gaelscoil Riabhach
- Cur chuige cothromaithe – Ruaidhrí Ó Béarra, NEPS
- Ré Nua – Todhchaí an Oideachais Speisialta – Muireann Ní Arrachtáin, Scoil na nÓg
- Insint Shóisialta do Dhaltaí le hUathachas – SESS
- An Taithí agus na Dúshláin ag obair mar shíceolaí sa nGaeltacht – Ruaidhrí Ó Béarra, NEPS
- Oiriúnacht an Tumoideachais do dhaltaí le RSO Cad atá ar eolas againn? – Pádraig Ó Duibhir, Sinéad Nic Aindriú & Joe Travers, DCU
Students with Dyslexia in an Irish medium school Advice for Parents (Booklet in English)
- Sleamhnáin RSO Sa Bhunscoil 06.10.20:
- Slides: Dyslexia Seminar for Parents 03.06.2020. Gaeloideachas held an information evening for parents and guardians of children with Special Educational Needs in Irish-medium education. You can view the recording of the seminar here.
Sign up to the Newsletter
We publish a range of newsletters, including one dedicated to special education that’s aimed at teachers and educators. You can sign up to receive any or all of our newsletters below, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Gaeloideachas is delighted to be able to expand the range of supports available to parents and guardians of children with dyslexia in an Irish-medium school, or indeed for parents considering an Irish-medium school for their children. New supports include a booklet...
Gaeloideachas have launched a new booklet in collaboration with the Dyslexia Association of Ireland. This booklet is based on current national and international research, which informs best practice in schools and policy formulation globally in relation to children...
A quick reminder to say that registration for our free webinars on Dyslexia in Irish-medium and Gaeltacht Schools on 3rd and 4th June will close on Wednesday, 3rd June at 2pm. Register now to avoid disappointement!