TTA san Iar-bhunscolaíocht Lán-Ghaeilge & Ghaeltachta
Who is the programme for?
- Are you a subject teacher in a Gaelcholáiste, in Aonad Lán-Ghaeilge or in a Gaeltacht post-primary school?
- Would you like to improve your Irish-language competence or ability?
- Would you like to undertake professional development specifically based on the particular requirements involved in teaching through Irish?
- Would you like to focus on your ability to function effectively and confidently as a subject teacher in the classroom?
- Would you welcome the opportunity to be part of a community of other subject teachers who are facing the same challenges?
If so, the TTA programme is particularly suited to you and to your requirements as a post-primary subject teacher teaching through Irish either in the Gaeltacht or outside the Gaeltacht.
Customised professional development for post-primary subject teachers in Mary Immaculate College
It is well documented that subject teachers in Gaelcholáistí, in Irish-medium immersion units and in Gaeltacht post-primary schools face considerable challenges. Post-primary subject teacher attrition from Gaelcholáistí and Gaeltacht schools is growing. There is a lack of tailored professional development initiatives which address specific linguistic and pedagogical needs. This postgraduate programme (TTA) will attend to the specific professional development requirements as well as the mandatory language proficiency required to teach content through Irish in Irish-medium and Gaeltacht post-primary schools. The TTA programme is being offered by Mary Immaculate College in conjunction with Education and Training Boards Ireland and an Chomhairle um Oideachas Gaeltachta agus Gaelscolaíochta (COGG).
Programme learning outcomes
On completion of this bespoke programme, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of teacher language awareness in instruction through Irish in Irish-medium/Gaeltacht post-primary schools, along with development of language awareness and enrichment strategies in subject teaching
- Reflect on and assess the systems and structures of the Irish language in targeted content areas and engage in self-directed strategic language planning to enable them to function effectively and confidently as subject teachers in the immersion classroom
- Define and investigate the key concepts of content and language integration in the context of post-primary immersion education
- Implement and evaluate instructional strategies to improve and enrich language and content learning
- Critically review and evaluate the quality of aspects of provision in their own classroom in order to promote language and literacy skills on a continuous basis in the context of subject instruction.
Contact An Dr TJ Ó Ceallaigh +353 61 204325 email@example.com